Yeast dough for about 8 pieces:
250 ml buttermilk
125 g butter or margarine
500 g wheat flour
1 sachet dry yeast
60 g sugar
6 g grated lemon zest
6 g grated orange zest
100 g liquid honey
3 heaped tsp ground cinnamon
A little practice will be required
1. Heat the buttermilk in a small pot, then let the butter or margarine melt in it.
2. In a mixing bowl, carefully combine the flour and yeast. Add the sugar as well as the grated lemon and orange zest to the warm buttermilk/fat mixture. Quickly blend it all with a mixer (dough hooks) on the lowest setting, then work into a smooth dough on the highest setting.
3. Cover the dough and leave it to rise in a warm place until it has visibly increased in size.
4. Roll out the dough onto a lightly floured work surface, shaping it into a rectangle (about 40 x 35 cm). Spread the honey evenly over the top and sprinkle with cinnamon.
5. Cut the dough into 8 strips (5 x 35 cm). Roll up the strips lengthwise to create spirals. Shape these “dough spirals” into hearts and place them on a baking tray.
6. Brush the hearts with milk and cover for 15 minutes, leaving to rise in a warm spot.
7. Slide the baking tray into a preheated oven (top/bottom heat: 180°C, fan-assisted: 160°C). The Cinnamon Hearts will be ready after approx. 20 minutes.
8. Leave the hearts to cool on a cake rack.